Wednesday 31 October 2012

Into the Shadows

This year as a whole just seems to be flying by. It feels like only yesterday it was February and we were submitting our packet for Canadian permanent residence, and here it is, the end of October! I am embarrassed to say that today, on October 31st, I am only just now carving my Halloween pumpkin, when it should have been done several days ago. Normally I do like to do it as close to the day as possible, but this is late even for my highly practiced procrastination skills. I have always loved Halloween, both the physical day itself as well as the mere idea of what it represents. As a child I love the trick-or-treating and the candy; as an adult I love the preparation, the actual carving of the pumpkin, and the roasted pumpkin seeds as the end result.

Since moving out to the country, we tend to not do very much on this day anyway--no parties to go to and no one trick-or-treating out this far, so I don't really feel any time constraints--and perhaps this is why I felt no rush to prepare for it this year. However, I have a special reason to carve our pumpkin this year, which has more to do with Shadowfest on November1st, than it does Halloween. As a remembrance tradition to my ancestors, grandparents, best friend, and beloved four-legged companion Eminence, as well as all others who have passed on, I will be making a very special autumn potpourri to burn inside of our jack-o-lantern tomorrow. I plan to burn it all day as reverance to them, and as a reminder to myself that although they're physically gone, they will never be forgotten. I am highly sensitive in regard to the spirit world and my senses, so I am hoping that using smell might "call" them. Who knows--we might have some visitors tomorrow! One can hope.. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment